Sunday, December 1, 2013

Changing Seasons!

     With the season changing everyone is preparing making sure everyone in their family has coats, hats, warm clothing, and anything else you can think of!   Our household is the same except, there is an underlining concern with every season change.  
     The fall and winter months are the seasons of most concern for most, I'm sure.  Not just the change in temperatures,  but the sickness that start flowing everywhere.  Flus, stomach bugs, colds, fevers, coughs, the list goes on and on!  I am sure if your like most parents you stock up on over the counter medication. You know...just in case!   I wish it was that easy for a parent like me!!
 

     Fall and Winter are the most on edge seasons for me having a CHD child!  For my daughter taking over the counter medicine isn't much of an option.  Since Cora has such a multiple intricate condition, and no immune system, over the counter medications are pretty much out of the question for her.
The fear of a common cold for Cora could become pneumonia very rapidly.  This could then lead to hospitalization and well....you can fill in the blanks from there!  
    We have been blessed to avoid such extreme obstacles, which I strongly feel has contributed to having her on Amoxicllian since birth.  This medicine has helped aide Cora's body in fighting off the little things a person with a immune system would fight off and, not really give it a second thought.  

     Having a child without an immune system is very difficult, and many just don't seem to get it.  I try to be patient with many and smile when they say I am silly.  But knowing a common cold for most could kill my baby is a very very hard pill to swallow, let alone face every single season.
     But I try not to dwell on this fact.  I arm my daughter every morning the best way I can.  I  pray over her and remind her of her risks and what she must do to keep herself as healthy as she can.  Once I send her off I become a Momma prayer warrior all throughout my day!!

     My family loves the snow, and holidays!  We look forward to spending time with friends and family!  But don't think for a second that I'm not doing my homework on what illnesses are "trending", and who has just gotten over what.  I am always looking out for the best interest of my daughter first and foremost, but I have a secret weapon!  I know The Lord will ultimately take care of  my CHD daughter, and all who she encounters!  

Blessings until next time!
Drena

     

No comments:

Post a Comment