Saturday, July 4, 2015

That Little Soapbox!

     I am not one to let what others say about having a CHD child effect me.  I usually chalk it up to an educating moment.  I understand that CHD isn't in the spotlight like other defects and diseases.  So I try to be more patient when someone wants to tell me why they think I birthed a child with a Congenital Heart Defect.  
However over the past few months I have conversated with some folks that have flat out accused me of this or that.  These folks have implied If I'd taken better care of myself during pregnancy, she wouldn't have been born "messed up."  At those particular times I was so devastated and hurt to the core, I simply walked away.  I said nothing, walked away and let tears stream down my cheeks.
     Unfortunately a bit of time has passed and it is still bothering me.  I so wished I would have stood tall to these folks and spoke the truth.  Even at the risk of exposing my emotions, and letting someone witness the tears streaming down my face. 
So to help myself gain closure I will say what I should have, and wanted to say during those moments.  

"I appreciate your theories but, let me take a minute to help define a few things.  I did everything by the book, during my CHD daughters pregnancy!  I DO NOT smoke, I DO NOT drink, I ate the best foods I could when I wasn't suffering from nauseousness.  I DID NOT take any medications, except my prenatal vitamins. I AM NOT obese, I AM NOT diabetic, and I DO exercise several times a week.  
So you see your theories of congenital heart defect children being born to Mothers who don't take care of themselves due to this reason, or that, is completely inaccurate!  So I'd appreciate it, if you'd educate yourself before you start making judgements, and preaching to me that her defect is somehow my fault!"

     Thank you for letting me clear myself of this.  My hope if someone, someday, has a conversation on this topic you can pass along some facts.  As I've said before.....we all need to constantly bring awareness and education to people about Congenital Heart Defects!

Blessings Until Next Time!
Drena

No comments:

Post a Comment