Monday, May 25, 2015

A Little Spunk!


     Driving down the road with Cora she asks me to turn up a song.  As I do I see her straighten her back and sit a little bit taller.  Listening, I hear my daughter sing every single word with conviction.  She sang as if she felt every single word to the core.  As the words continue to fill the car, each sentence sang touches my heart.  This song is more than just an awesome song for my 14 year old.  This song is so very much more.
     As the song completes, and the radio is turned down, I see the smile still on Cora's face.  As a curious Momma, I have to ask!  Before I can get the words out, she tells me she absolutely loves that song.  Cora proceeds to tell me the song is her voice!  She continues by informing me that she sees herself as that small boat in the ocean of life.  That she feels she isn't heard often, and she doesn't speak up much.  However she isn't ready to give up on life!  She isn't ready give up on the notion that there are many other kids with heart surgery who will follow behind her in school.  She wants to help make the path a little easier for the next congenital heart defect kid.
     This song is her anthem!  Cora says it is her "fight song, take back my life song, prove I'm alright song." She says she feels strong when she hears it.  She doesn't want to give up, or care what others say, because she's "still got a lot of fight left in me."  She isn't going to think about the end, she is going to think about the now!  Clearly there were no words that I could say.  At the risk of being a crying mess, and unable to see the road to drive, I simply smiled and nodded.
     So thank you Rachel Platten.  Thank you for your song Fight Song.  Thank you for empowering my daughter through your words. Thank you for breathing courage, hope, and inspiration into my CHD daughter!  Silly as it may sound, any little bit of encouragement she can receive to lift her spirits, and ignite a flame within her, deserves a special thank you!  If that has to come from a song, I'm so grateful it's a song like this.  I'm blessed that God guided my daughters ears to this song, her entyrruptation of the words empowered her, and that she now has some new found strength, and unconditional love,  to continue to try to make a difference in school for other CHD children who may follow!

Blessings Until Next Time! 
Drena




No comments:

Post a Comment