Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Loving Thyself!


     Teaching a child to love themselves is such a challenging task for a parent.  It is even debatable, if this is something that can even be taught!  As a parent, I have yet to meet someone, who doesn't want their child to love the person they are inside and out!  

    As parents, we put so much pressure on ourselves to be the mighty teacher of everything for our children. But so much just can't be taught by us!  We can guide, give direction, and even sometimes nudge them.  But in life, we all know we can't teach everything. 
     
     Our children have to learn to love themselves. They have to discover who God has made them to be. They have to discover their value and purpose from God.  Not by their choice, our even our choice....but by God's design. 
     God has put within each of us, the ability to overcome our insecurities. My goal as a parent, is to help guide my children to value themselves.  To accept that we all make mistakes and fall short, but forgiving ourselves is key.

     Having a daughter with a heart condition so many things are fragile.  There is a very fine line between disciplining and guiding.   Not only is she judged by others, but now she is judging herself.  Putting blame on oneself for your difficulties, differences, even a heart condition is toxic.  This pill is the hardest to swallow.  It always seems easier to see our shortcomings, and blame ourselves for them.   

     I don't want my CHD daughter to blame herself for anything.  I want her to have compassion for herself.....I want her to accept who she is and not just embrace it, but love it, and be proud!  I want to her to realize that God made her and he doesn't make mistakes.  But above everything else, I want her to respect who she was made to be!  I love her just the way she is, and wouldn't change a thing.  Because I'd loose the Cora I know and love inside and out!

Blessings Until Next Time!
Drena


No comments:

Post a Comment