Friday, May 2, 2014

Walking A Fine Line!

     Being a parent I find it difficult some days meeting expectations of my children and myself. I get the feeling that my best is just short of what it should and needs to be.
     Then there are those moments when The Lord shines through, and the exhaustion and headaches subside.  My inner Wonder Woman Mom shines through.  
     Being a Mom of a CHD child I feel like I am always walking a fine line.  I am always wearing my "day clothes" but just underneath my "Wonder Woman Gear" awaits!  

     Do I want my child to be treated differently than others?  No!  Do I discipline the same as my other children?  Yes I do!  BUT....there are times when I must interject to advocate for my daughter.  Times when her voice just isn't heard!  Times when someone doubts her knowledge about her own anatomy.  That's when that fine line gets just a hair blurry and I find that "Wonder Woman" Mom steps in!  
     I want my daughter to stand up for herself and share her unique story,  I want her to be brave to share the uniqueness she posess.  BUT.....when a grown person doesn't want to hear her, or boarders on insinuating she is lying, I just won't stand for that.  Cora is still learning about herself and try's hard to share with everyone what she knows.  Does she always use the correct term?  No!  Would most people get the idea of what she is saying if they took a moment to stop and listen to her?  I would hope so...BUT I am getting a different feeling lately!

     All this leads up to a conversation I had with Cora after school today.  She is currently learning about the human body in school, and of coarse she wants to share her own story with the class.  Well I guess that wasn't received well my anyone..including the teacher.  As I listened to Cora express how students told her she was lying, and the teacher telling her what she was describing couldn't be because she'd be dead...Upset....YES!!!!!

     I sat quietly trying to focus on her as she continued to tell me how she lost a point for not describing the human body properly.  She said she tried to explain to the teacher that she understood the verbal directions to describe "your" human body.  Since Cora didn't put the immune system on it she lost a point.  Cora told me "Mom I tried to explain that I don't have an immune system so that's why I didn't write it on there."  I understood what she meant, not having a spleen and being septibal to all illness (which she takes medication for)....but the teacher said not possible you'd be dead.

     Well I had heard enough!  I quietly got out my ipad and began an email to her teacher.  I was nice but firm.  I expressed how Cora was upset due to the reasons I expressed above, and would be more than happy to come to class to share her unique anatomy, that is nothing short than a miracle.  I also took a few extra minutes to express her anatomy (I covered Cora's diagnosis in a previous post) so she was sure to make the connection from what Cora was trying to share to the actual medical names.

     What bothers me about this entire situation is a grown person argued with a child on something he/she doesn't know enough about.  An adult teacher doesn't know my child's medical history, and to imply that clearly what my child's diagnosis is not remotely possible, and then to continue to imply she is being untruthful...all the while in front of Cora's peers....well it is unprofessional, not adult like, and well.....just wrong!!!  I do hope this teacher contacts me next week and takes me up on my offer to come educate his/her class and themselves on the anatomy of MY child!!!

I shall let you know if something happens....so.....to be continued....

Blessings until next time.
Drena






     

No comments:

Post a Comment